Blog Image


RC Helicopter flying, RC Cars and RC boating

Made for other people and me to track what I am doing when with my remote controlled units. It started out with helicopters. Hence the name.

If only one of my units is of interest, this unit can be clicked on the right and only posts regarding that unit shows up.

This blog is open for comments so feel free to leave a comment.

Möwe boat stand repaired

Robbe Möwe Posted on Apr 26, 2013 09:47:37

After some time with a broken boat stand for Möwe I finally put myself together and repaired it. The problem was that silicone would not stand up to the job. Instead I added in some steel reinforcements and used epoxy to keep it all together. The pictures below shows how the boat stand looks now:

Thanks for looking smiley

Maja finally waterproof

Robbe Möwe Posted on Nov 13, 2011 11:36:54

Last week I brought Maja to the swimming lanes with the boat club. I had put some shaft grease in the rudder shaft. This seem to have fixed the water ingress problem.

Maja is however quite overpowered so for manoeuvring it will probably need to go slow. That is not really a surprise smiley

I don’t think I’ll be using this boat a lot. It will mostly be used for manoeuvring contests and perhaps for practise before those. What is really nice is how small it is.

New ESC for Maja and trial

Robbe Möwe Posted on Oct 02, 2011 17:11:40

Earlier this week I got the new ESC. This time I am using a Robbe ROXXY 918. So far I only have good experiences with the Robbe ROXXY 9XX series. Furthermore I have a Robbe programming card.

When I tried the motor and the new ESC out on the workbench, I found that neither the ESC nor the motor would heat up. The motor would use up to 1A at full acceleration with no load. When loaded in water under max acceleration the peak ampere usage would be about 4A.when using a 3S LiPo.

Furthermore I modified the motor for improved cooling by adding a 30mm EDF fan that I adapted to fit to the motor. See the pictures:

Today I brought her along to the model boat pond to try her out. With a 3S LiPo se was very fast, but wasn’t very controllable. The rudder had almost no effect at full speed smiley At low speed she is very maneuverable however. That is really why I built her.

I am still having trouble with water coming in. I am suspecting that the water ingress is through the rudder shaft. So today I lubricated the rudder shaft with silicone grease. Let’s see if that does the trick ?

Thanks for looking smiley

Maja Motor/ESC update

Robbe Möwe Posted on Sep 27, 2011 17:05:53

This weekend I did some experiments with the ESC and a new motor I got for my Maja boat. My conclusion was that the ESC was damaged. Fortunately a new one is on it’s way. Further I discovered that this motor gets rather warm. So now I am looking for ways to improve cooling.

Maja pictures

Robbe Möwe Posted on Sep 18, 2011 14:57:33

I just thought I would share a few pictures of my boat Maja. I have received a new motor, but haven’t had the time to try it out yet. I also ordered a new ESC. This time I selected a Robbe ROXXY 918. So far I only have good experience with the Robbe ROXXY ESCs.

Here are some pictures:


Trying out Maja at the club pond

Robbe Möwe Posted on Sep 10, 2011 10:49:59

Last Sunday I brought Maja the the club pond to try it out. It actually ran quite well, but there was one problem: There was water ingress. I haven’t found out exactly why but I added some extra silicone, where I suspect the problem is.

Then later I wanted to try out with a 3S LiPo. I added some telemetry so I could see power consumption. When I connected the battery I noticed that about 1A was being consumed, without the motor running and shortly after I smelt burned electronics so I quickly disconnected the battery. The motor never ran.

I can’t see the battery being to blame as both motor and the ESC are rated for 3S LiPo. It might be that the TX wasn’t completely neutral? It might also be that water had entered the ESC?

It not perfectly clear if it’s the motor or the ESC that’s broken. At first I have ordered a new motor as that is cheaper.

Otherwise I am working on completing the details and I made a boat stand in plexi-glass.

More info will follow…

Maja/Möwe water trial

Robbe Möwe Posted on Aug 31, 2011 20:26:04

This Monday I took the time and installed all the electronics in Maja/Möwe and decided to try it out in the kitchen sink. Everything went well and all seems to work well. I still need to install something to secure the battery, but else wise I am ready join the deck to the hull.

Motor trials with a 2S LiPo indicate that Maja will be capable of going quite fast smiley It should also be capable of handling 3S LiPo if 2S isn’t enough.

Picture of kitchen sink water trial:


Möwe motor installation

Robbe Möwe Posted on Aug 28, 2011 18:21:32

Yesterday I finally got around to installing the propeller shaft and the motor in Möwe. See the pictures below. The reason I chose to install it like that was to get perfect motor and propeller shaft alignment.

I have waterproofed the receiver by filling it with silicone and I have named the boat “Maja”. Much better name than Möwe. The paint jobs are about being done. Today the boat floated in my kitchen sink. That was the first time it floated.

Later I connected the ESC to the motor and found that the rotation was backwards so I did a little re-programming to reverse motor rotation. That’s nice when I have soldered the ESC to the motor.

Have a look at the pictures:


Next »